Corbar


Buxton and is overlooked by two landmarks, one on top of Grinlow Hill, 1441 feet above sea level, is Grinlow Tower, known locally as Solomon's Temple. This is a two story granite, crooked folly built in 1834 by Solomon Mycock to provide work for the town's unemployed. It was restored in 1996 after a lengthy closure to the public.

On the other side, stands Corbar Hill, 1433 feet above sea level. On top of that is Corbar Cross, a tall modern cross originally given to the Roman Catholic Church by the Duke of Devonshire in 1950 to commemorate Holy Year. It was replaced in the 1980s and in 2010, during the visit of Pope Benedict XV1, it was cut down as a protest against a long history of child use of the Catholic St Williams school in Market Weighton, Yorkshire. The Buxton ecumenical group Churches Together organised several benefactors who replaced the cross with a smaller one in May 2011.

Corbar Hall is the family home of the Bowen family and was built in 1862. It was converted to a hospital in the 1950s and is now an office. T. It is a Victorianate style mansion originally built as a larger house that now exists, which had a billiard room and joined the main house to the servants quarters. These quarters are now the separate house to the East of the hall. The original features were preserved internally, including a fine oak staircase modelled on the Dorothy Vernon staircase at Haddon Hall. The lodge on the main road was also built at the same time as the house, and the drive was lined with mature rhododendrons. The high-rise hospital building was built on the original croquet lawn of the house in the hall was also known as Corbar Villa, which might be attributed to Joseph Paxton, who laid out the Buxton Park and Devonshire Park's next to each other.

Copyright © Buxton Online 2018. Peak District Accommodation by Peak District Online